SJG Conserve

Sign Up For New Article Alerts

Together At Home

Energy Efficiency Glossary

Energy Efficiency Glossary

Below are terms and their definitions, related to Energy Efficiency and natural gas.

Advanced Power Strip
Automatically turns off the power on idle devices.

British thermal unit (Btu)
The amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit; equal to 252 calories.

CNG vehicle
A vehicle designed to operate on compressed natural gas.

Efficiency rating
This unit of measurement is the calculation of how much energy is used by appliances, water heaters, furnaces and other products. The higher the number, the more energy efficient the product is.

The ability to do work or the ability to move an object. Electrical energy is usually measured in kilowatt hours (kWh), while heat energy is usually measured in British thermal units (Btu).

Energy efficiency
Refers to activities that are aimed at reducing the energy used by substituting technically more advanced equipment, typically without affecting the services provided. Examples include high-efficiency appliances; efficient lighting programs; high-efficiency heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems; and efficient building design.

Faucet Aerator
Attaches to a faucet to minimize the amount of energy needed to heat hot water while saving you water.

AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency)
The most widely used measure of a furnace's heating efficiency, AFUE measures the amount of heat actually delivered compared to the amount of fuel supplied to the furnace. A furnace that has an 80 percent AFUE rating converts 80 percent of the fuel to heat. The other 20 percent is lost out of the chimney.

A program from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy that helps the public save money and protect the environment through energy-efficient products and practices.

Heating, ventilating and air conditioning system.

LED Light Bulb
Energy efficient, long life replacements for standard incandescent, halogen and CFL lamps.

Renewable energy
Fuels that can be easily made or "renewed” such as hydropower (water), solar, wind, geothermal and biomass.

Smart Energy Partnerssm
The portfolio of energy efficiency programs exclusively for South Jersey Gas/Elizabethtown Gas customers to save energy and money.

Solar energy
The radiant energy of the sun, which can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or electricity.

A device that adjusts the amount of heating and cooling in a home or building. Programmable thermostats can be set to save energy by reducing or increasing temperatures automatically at certain times. Smart Thermostats allow you to control the temperature from anywhere through an app.

The practice of protecting a building and its interior from the elements, particularly from sunlight, precipitation and wind, and of modifying a building to reduce energy consumption and optimize energy efficiency.

Weather stripping
The process of sealing openings such as doors and windows from the elements to prevent rain and water from entering and to keep interior air in, thus saving energy with heating and air conditioning.

Sources: Energy Information Administration; The Department of Energy.
Save energy and money -- check out SJG Energy Efficiency programs available exclusively for SJG customers.





ETG Canvas Bag

Share your email address and we'll keep you updated on helpful news and info from Conserve.

Please enter a valid email address.

Sign Up

Customer Service

Can't find what you need on our site? Click or tap below to contact us via message or phone. We are happy to help you.

  Contact Us

811: Call Before You Dig

Call 811 or visit before you dig - it's the law! Click or tap below for further information on utility markouts and safety.

  Learn More

Regulatory Information

Click or tap below to access our regulatory filings and tariff information.

  Learn More